This page last updated June 3rd 2020
Changes: wheels, nuts, bolts, screws not included; decals still available but sold separately
VR Narrow Gauge Passenger Stock
1/4"scale, 1:48, On30
Steam And Things offer complete etched brass kits of the following prototypes:
NBC, NC, NBH, NBHC, NAB(NAC), NBB(NB)
Fox Bogie Chassis detailing kit
Photo S&T of completed models, NBC and NBB
Click for more photos of completed models
Photos:S&T-- NBC and NBH etches, the latter is of internal detailing; test building
of the NC, NBH,NBHC, NAB, NBB etches. In time we hope to replace all photographs with completed and painted
- Etched brass, 0.3mm on 2 or 3 "A4" sheets; different period variants for
the NBC, NC and NBB can be built using extra etches
- Castings (whitemetal) included: bogies sides, roof lamps (old flat type), brake hoses, coupler side spring, brake
cylinder; plus other general items
- Also included in the etches are items such as:
We have tried to include as much as we can and that which has been brought
to our attention
- Internal detailing - this is in the form of simple etches and includes seating, partitions, wall, desks,
shelves etc. where appropriate
- Comprehensive instructions with drawings and photographs of the prototype are included. The NBC and
NC instructions run to 17 and 16 pages of A4 respectively (excluding cover page!)
- Extras included: wire (in 3 sizes for door handles, brake gear, etc.), brass bearings and glazing material
- Decals: 2 sheets per kit - OPTIONAL EXTRA
Sheet No.1 All coaches - solebar numbering, model etc.
Two alternate versions are available, bold lettering or stencils.
Sheet No.2 NBC/NC - smoking, non-smoking,first, second, guard, booking office, etc., whatever appropriate
Sheet No.3 NBB as above, whatever appropriate
Sheet No.4 NAB as above, whatever appropriate
Sheet No.5 NBH(C) guard only
There is also a secret bonus decal!
Decals for Venetian blinds also available if required
- RECOMMENDED NOT INCLUDED IN KIT:
Steam Era Wheels, 10.5mm disc
- nuts, bolts, washers no longer included
Important Ordering information: The designation (model codes) for the carriages varied over time,
and in addition modifications were made. To be sure you're ordering the correct coach for the correct
period you have to go to our supplementary page: click on this link ; note also that
some variants attract a surcharge.
We are also producing an etched and cast underframe detailing kit, to detail such items as resin kits and
scratch built models.
This fret includes:
The chassis side members are etched overlays with rivet detail and the bogie parts can be used as required.
The bogie sides are etched sides with rivet detal (but of course no axle boxes) and the bogie plates are the small
square repair plates that were riveted to the bogie sides.Cast items included in the kit are brake hoses,
coupler return springs and a brake cylinder.
- Chassis Side members, Underframe C-channels
- Lamp Irons, Headcode Boards, Underframe Truss, Brake Wheel
- Coupling Pocket, Spring Bracket,
- Brake Arms
- Bogie Stretcher, Bogie Sides, Bogie Plates
By the way, all our decals are available separately, AND we now have a new decal sheeet for
Puffing Billy Goods Stock. See our section on goods decals.
There is a constructional review of this kit Narrow Gauge Down Under No. 22, 2006 (pages 7-8)
or read it now on-line by clicking this icon ,
but you must have Adobe Reader installed. Downloading this review will take about 3 minutes at broadband speeds.
This review is presented here courtesy of Narrow Gauge Down Under.
DECALS STILL AVAILABLE IN ALL SCALES